This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

SQL server? - new to all of this

Oct 4, 2013 at 2:00 AM
Hi all, I am very interested in using OGAMA to identify where people focus on with graphic design. I have installed OGAMA on Win7 and ran it for the first time and go the message - "SQL Instance not found" Please specify the correct name for the running SQl Server instance". I am not a programmer by any means and have no Idea what this is. I did a quick Google search and found SQLExress on a Microsoft site. Its a web platform installer, not sure what that is. Yes I am that ignorant regarding these things.

http://www.microsoft.com/web/platform/database.aspx

Is this something I simply need to download and install?

Do I need a second computer running to use OGAMA?

Are there any good video tutorials out there that can walk me through using this?

Hope you can help.

Riptyde.
Oct 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2013 at 7:02 PM
Hi Riptyde,

you can use the webplatform installer or any other option of installing an sqlexpress instance.
Just browse the web on "install SQL express 2008" on how to do it.
Do I need a second computer running to use OGAMA?
This depends on your tracking device and tracking setup. In most of the setups, you will only use one machine.
Are there any good video tutorials out there that can walk me through using this?
No. But if you have successfully managed to get it up and running there are surely other users which would be thankful if you create one for them!
Thanks in advance, share it with us, I will link it once it is done, just leave me a message.

Kind regards, Adrian
Oct 5, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Thanks for the reply Adrian.

You specifically mention SQL EXPRESS 2008. Is there a reason for that specific version.

The link I provided above leads to the page for a download
http://www.microsoft.com/web/downloads/platform.aspx

And a search for "install SQL express 2008" led to this page with this download link. which leads to 5 options. I would guess the last option (SQL Server Express (Containing only the database engine)) is the one I would need.

Is there a reason not to download and install the 2012 version?
Oct 5, 2013 at 9:06 PM
I would recommend to install the "SQL Server Express with Tools" version, cause it includes the Management Studio Express, which can give you some insights into your database, once you may run into problems :-).
And yes, you can also safely install the 2012 version. The 2008 is only the minimum required version.
Kind regards,
Adrian
Oct 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM
OK, I installed version 2012 and started OGAMA and got the "Please specify the correct name for the running SQL Server instance." Is there something I am supposed to do with SQLExpress? Am I supposed to run it or something. What are the next steps? This is becoming very frustrating. I think OGAMA looks like the tool I need, but I have spent way too much time trying to make it work. Please provide some detailed instructions.
Oct 7, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Hi Riptyde,
you expect professional support for an open source non-profit software. That is something we are not able to afford.
I can say that some of ogamas users had problems getting the sql server up and running, but there are plenty of instructions around the web for this, and they got it working. I suggest that you ask a friend or your local administrator who will surely understand the error messages and is able to help you.
The problems you have are not located in the installation of ogama, they are in the installation of the sql server. The instance name ogama expects is by default "SQLEXPRESS". What it is on your system can be determined easily (google for "sql instance name"). Also it is maybe just the case, that your sql server instance is not running (check this first!).
Regards,
Adrian
P.S: By the way, I understand your frustration, but I´m sure you can solve your problems, it´s "just" a matter of time and patience...
Oct 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM
Hi riptyde,

I had the same problem. I tried to install many SQL Server without success.

So I uninstall all program with an SQL in the name and I follow this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUalyKGHAso

Then it works perfectly! Instead of SQLEXPRESS in instance name in Ogama put the name of the instance name you created (SQL2012 in the tutorial video).

I noticed that I had some bug because I was missing Microsoft SQL Server Compact 4.0 ENU (I probably deleted it when I was deleted all SQL program). So I reinstall it (easy to find an install when you google it).

Sometimes my SQL Server disconnect so you can reconnect it going to All program->Microsoft SQL Server 2012->Configuration Tools->SQL Server COnfiguration Manager. Then clicking on your instqnce name and Connect you can connect to the server.

Hope I helped you.

klelu