This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Question regarding tracking gameplay footage

Mar 7, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I have taken a quick look at the Ogama software as well as the description PDF. I have two questions when it comes to the functionality of the software.

First of all, I am doing research on design methods for game design and for my particular experiment, I need to use eye tracking to track the player's eye behavior. For this reason, I need to know whether I can have Ogama record while the test subjects are playing the game. So far, the only recording option I have seen is one based on a slideshow, which would severely hamper my research if that's the only available option.

The second question ties into the first one, and has to do with AOIs. Since the resulting game footage from recording will have moving AOIs I wonder if it is possible to set up dynamic AOIs in Ogama.
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2013 at 6:37 AM

Hi Cridia,

to be honest, Ogama is not the swiss knife you would like to have when analyzing non still stimuli like video games, videos, flash movies etc.

The recorder has the option to record anything that is on screen (even a video or anything else), but the analysis tools are designed for slideshow study designs.

So give it a try, but don´t expect too much. The dynamic AOI feature is not implemented in Ogama. The concept is there, but nobody got the time to code it…

If you have some good developers at hand, I invite you to extend Ogama this way using the open sources, I will give support as much as I can.

Kind regards,

Adrian

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:12 AM
If I can find some people who are able to code it, then I might :)

Anyway, considering you are specifically talking about analysis tools, I reckon you don't have a way to record the gameplay footage together with, say, scanpaths? Because one particular feature I like from Ogama (which I haven't been able to find in the recording software of Mirametrix) is that at the very least it gives me the feeling I can select my own codecs. I don't really like the quality that the Mirametrix's recording software comes with. If I cannot use dynamic AIO's, I could just analyze it through video editing software, but in that case I would need to have something like scanpaths in the video to do it effectively I think.
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Hi Cridia,

the biggest problem with the desktop recording is, that the video currently goes quickly out of sync with the gaze data. I haven´t found the reason until now and not all users report this problem…

But beside this, ogama is able to export the video overlaid with the scanpath or anything that you specify in the replay module using the export function in the replay module.

And yes, you may select any installed (direct show!) encoder on your system for the screen recording.

Kind regards, Adrian

Apr 1, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I have tested the desktop recording and it kinda works, but there are some problems with it (that have nothing to do with the sync at the moment).

For one, if I select desktop recording as a slide, desktop recording works fine, unless I return to the desktop or when going into a realtime fullscreen application (such as a game). At that moment, it decides that I have "stopped recording" and immediately offers to save the data. This particular issue was kind of solved by setting the game application to windowed mode, which for some reason circumvented this.

The second issue however, I haven't been able to fix. The moment I press a button (any button), the recorder once again thinks it has finished recording and again offers to save the results. This is kind of annoying in an interactive environment, where pressing buttons is kind of required. I have tried to remedy this by having the desktop recording only go to the next slide when a certain button is pressed, but the moment I put in something like this, desktop recording only records a black background.

Is there any way I can circumvent this problem?
Coordinator
Apr 1, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Hi Cridia,
I can not reproduce any of your described problems... please send your Project Folder to adrian(at)ogama.net.

The presentation is only interrupted when one of the following three situations occur:
1) User click on ESC
2) User click on "Record" button in record module
3) One of the slide end Options is true (time or key as specified in the slide design)

Kind regards,
Adrian