This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

ITU Gaze Tracker + PS3 Problems

Feb 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Hi!

I have a problem using the ITU tracker with a PS3 cam in combination with OGAMA.

Tracking results with the original ITU tracker software are quite goode. Results mit OGAMA are not.

I found the possible cause of the problem. The PS3 is not shown as the device (the ITU Tracker that is embeded in OGAMA shows no device but it tracks the eye). The best configuration I found for the original ITU Tracker is with the resolution of 320x240 the best. It seems to me that OGAMA is using 640x240 by default. Is there a way to change that?

Cheers,

Ewald

Coordinator
Feb 14, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Hi Ewald, the reason for this behaviour is that the gazetracker from within ogama comes with a native PS3 support using the codelaboratories driver which has faster image access. So I wonder why this gives bad results... I think this is related to the huge CPU consumption on the 75 fps framerate the native PS3 driver supports at full frame size 640x480, where there is not enough cpu left to succesfully fulfill the tracking algorithms of the gazetracker.

The first workaround is to use the network interface to the gazetracker (not the direct client). With this you can connect to any running gazetracker instance.

The second way is to disable the automatic selection of the kinect and ps3 native support, instead manually choose whether to use the directshow or native clients. I will include this feature in a next version.

Kind regards,
Adrian

Feb 14, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Hi! I have already installed the codelaboratories dirver so the original Tracker works with the 320x240 resolution at arround 100fps + tracking is nearly perfect. Embeded ITU tracks with 75fps which means that the resolution is 640x480.

Using the networkclient (at the same computer) does not improve tracking quality (verified on two different laptops)

A question: is it normal that the embeded ITU does not show in the device selection dropdown menu the PS3 cam (the original does)?

I film the eye very close, but your system seems to work better a bit more away. (its the other focus the PS3 has).

Cheers,

Ewald

Coordinator
Feb 15, 2012 at 6:24 PM

> Using the networkclient (at the same computer) does not improve tracking quality (verified on two different laptops)
That´s hard to understand. Start the original gazetracker (not the one delivered with ogama) where the tracking quality is good. Then connect to this instance from within ogama using the network client. Why should the tracking quality decrease? Maybe a CPU problem, Ogamas recording needs also resources...?

> A question: is it normal that the embeded ITU does not show in the device selection dropdown menu the PS3 cam (the original does)?
This is because the original ITU has the native support coded but deactivated in the frontend, it uses always the directshow connection.

> I film the eye very close, but your system seems to work better a bit more away. (its the other focus the PS3 has).
You are able to modify the focus using the gazetracker camera options tab?

Regards, Adrian

Coordinator
Mar 20, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Hi Ewald,

with changeset 7dd5f0e51b5d I replaced the direct PS3 support, so now you can use the PS3 just like any other directshow camera and choose resolution and FPS from the combo of the gazetracker. This is less buggy and more usable.

Regards, Adrian

Mar 23, 2012 at 3:10 PM

thanks a lot!

Greetings, Ewald