This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Doubts about OGAMA Slideshow Design Module

Dec 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM
Edited Dec 20, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Questions about options to create a slideshow and import data / settings from different data sources.

(see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFdg3FB0cKM)

Thanks..

Coordinator
Dec 20, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Hi Vitor,

thanks for the video, I know what you are trying to achieve, but can´t help you as far as I do not have enough information on the crashes of ogama.
Please show me the steps to reproduce the crashes or misbehaviours including readable webadresses and error messages, otherwise I cannot track the bugs down. Think of a remote session that lets me see every single step you take until the error or exception occurs.

Creating webpage screenshots and inserting them as a plain picture will not work as long as they have scroll bars, this is what the webpage slide should do for you and cannot be a workaround. Because of its scrolling options a webpage is internally handled totally different from a picture.

There should be no need of importing and synchronizing csv files from gazetracker (thats hard to achieve because the gazetracker is not triggering), because there is the recording option of ogama, if this doesn´t work lets find the bug together to make it work.

When flash movies fail I also need the files that fail along with the steps until they fail, otherwise i´m not able to solve the issues.

Kind regards,
Adrian

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Hi Adrian,

I made some videos trying to show U the bugs and issues that i'm having using Ogama design slideshow module. The content of error message is attached. (Sorry for send to your email and discussion page)
URL (webpages):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RTpSEABnTw
SWF (flash):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZoBLUyDHXA

Thanks one more time!
Vitor
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Hi Vitor,

the flash problem is only a usability issue ... with two problems.
A) In the flash dialog don´t select the "Play Sound" checkbox, because this is for an additional sound that can be loaded and played for each element, even a flash movie. The original flashs sound is played automatically.
B) After clicking OK you don´t have noticed that the cursor changes waiting for an input on where to place the flash movie on the slide. Just click and drag somewhere on the slide to define the size of the flash, the right click on the element and select "size full screen". Otherwise the insertion is discarded and the slide stays empty just as you have seen.

Regarding the long URLs:
You cannot browse to or initially display an URL with a length of more than 260 characters at the moment, because Ogama saves a screenshot of the shown URL with the URL as name. In windows file systems filenames longer than 260 characters are not allowed.
I will include a check for too long filenames in the next release, but there is no workaround for this problem in the moment.

Thanks for your detailed error reports, as you can see this helps clarifying and fixing!
Regards, Adrian

Dec 21, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Thanks Adrian! I will make more tests with flash and soon I will send to you the results ;)
However I still have some doubts about the "Data import" . In relation of "step 4 - trials" (Please specify the trial list creating process you prefer) and "step 5 - Images" (Please specify where to get the stimuli images for the trials). How this steps works? I not understand yet.. When I import gaze data from external sources how do I do to import the environment data (e.g. swf, jpg, url) used in the experiment?

Thanks again Adrian

Coordinator
Jan 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Hi Vitor,

since c16013b09f40 the long URL bug should be fixed, so that you may browse or start with webpages using long queries.

To describe the import steps is a bit difficult using this discussion forum :-)... There are a lot of possible ways and you have to try them all, or send me an example data file and I will give you some advice. By default there are two possibilities, either the gaze data file contains lines with the slide picture names, e.g.
#MSG newPicture.jpg
or you have a separate file containing timestamps along with the filenames, e.g.
221212235 newPicture.jpg
221215543 newPicture2.jpg
Regards, Adrian

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Hi Adrian I replied the discussion about URL bug in a new created topic in "Issue Tracker" named: "OGAMA v4.0 B6 - URL Design slideshow module bug" (http://ogama.codeplex.com/workitem/16

About the Import settings I made the follow video trying to explain my doubts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae6fF0apebY).

Thanks, 

Vitor

Jan 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

In the video I wrong said "Gaze W" but is "Gaze Y"  sorry... =D

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2012 at 8:15 PM
Edited Jan 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM

Hi Vitor,

I created the next beta (Beta 7), which includes fixes for some of your problems.

Please try it, I will investigate the import problems later.

Adrian

Jan 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Hi Adrian,

I tested the new beta (7), the bug of long URL was fixed. But when I use "Import Module" and try to syncronize with a Flash file (.swf) created after in "Design Slideshow Module" the flash file in "Replay Module" doesn't start, only the gaze tracking start, why?

Another questions:

About "Import Module":

1. How can I syncronize the flash file (or several flash files) with the "time" (e.g. Timestamp) and gaze tracking data?

1.1 Is it possible make this automatically and/or manually?

2. Is possible to created gaze plots and heatmaps in different moments in a single flash file?

2.1 Or is necessary to separate in different files?

2.1.1 If is, can I import this several flash files in "Import Module"?

2.1.2 Will be necessary create different experiments for each flash file?

2.1.2.1 This will be made in "Import assistant"?, and

3. I still don't get the steps in Import assistant,

If U can help will be great! Thanks!

Regards, 

Vitor

Coordinator
Jan 16, 2012 at 7:17 PM

> When I use "Import Module" and try to syncronize with a Flash file (.swf) created after
> in "Design Slideshow Module" the flash file in "Replay Module" doesn't start, only the
> gaze tracking start, why?
> 1. How can I syncronize the flash file (or several flash files) with the "time" (e.g. Timestamp) and gaze tracking data?
> 1.1 Is it possible make this automatically and/or manually?
I think I should clarify what recording of flash movies with ogama means.
If you record gaze samples at flash movies out of ogama, ogama has no chance to know when and where the flash movie was at the time during recording, because flash movies does not always advance linear... so the design solution was to record a screenmovie of everything that was on the screen during playing a flash file in the record module. So no way to synchronize a flash movie with imported gaze samples, except you make your recording from within ogama.

> 2. Is possible to created gaze plots and heatmaps in different moments in a single flash file?
> 2.1 Or is necessary to separate in different files?
> 2.1.1 If is, can I import this several flash files in "Import Module"?
If you have recorded it with ogama, yes, otherwise no. When recorded with ogama you can move the timeline start and end slider in the fixations module to specify the time span to be used for calculating gaze plots and heatmap (using display mode: heatmap)

> 2.1.2 Will be necessary create different experiments for each flash file?
No.

> 3. I still don't get the steps in Import assistant,
Yeah, I´ve seen your video and have to say, that there should be a video tutorial to explain, but there is too little time currently.
Just a few hints:

-> Use a column header
Imagine your raw data import file looks like this:

TIME;XPos;YPos
MSG: FirstImage.jpg
12231;23;1245
12237;23;1247
... (more samples)
15423;234;221
MSG: NextImage.jpg
15428;223;200
... (more samples)

You see, there are message lines in between the raw data lines which are indicating the Stimuli files, then ogama creates the trials in step 4 and 5 of the import assistant automatically assigning:
Sequence;TrialID;ImageFile;Starttime
0;0;FirstImage.jpg;12231
1;1;NextImage.jpg;15428

If the message lines are not available use a table like the above in steps 4 and five by typing the table in the assistant.

The difference of sequence and trialID is that some trials (images) may occure twice during the experiment, so they would have different sequences (cause the first time it is shown is before the second time) but identical trialIDs (because the same image is shown)

The import settings (.ois) are saved in a different location they were searched at the beginning of the import, so browse to the location you saved them and you are able to use them twice.

Hope this helps, Adrian

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Edited Jan 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Hi Adrian,

I made another video trying to show new questions about Import Settings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XKq7hFfqLk).

Is not showed is this video but I tried to type the name file and format (e.g. FirstImage.jpg) in the columns but doesn't works, I guess because the OGAMA doesn't know or find the location of the file, I need to create and/or save in a subfolder in Ogama Experiments or some different location?

Thanks,

Vitor

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Hi Vitor,

think again of a typical slideshow that is recorded with any eyetracker you use. You have multiple slides with different stimuli (can be Flash/Image/etc).

A typical raw data ascii file of a recording of any tracker will look like this:

TIME;XPos;YPos
... some samples
MSG: FirstImage.jpg
12231;23;1245
12237;23;1247
... (more samples)
15423;234;221
MSG: NextImage.jpg
15428;223;200

Between the sample lines occur lines with distinguish the trials. The 4th and 5th step of the import assistant are parsing the file for such entrys.
If you do not have these lines in between the samples you may specify the start times of the trials in step 4 and the stimuli file names for these trials in step 5.
If you have only one trial, then you just have to insert a line with the image file in the raw data file.

BUT: This doesn´t work with flash movies. Again (see my post from 16.1) you have to record flash movies with ogama itself. Importing trials that are recorded outside of ogama will never show the flash movie itself in the replay, because it is internally replaced with a screen capture video of the original recording. But if you are using the gazetracker, you are able to record the flash stimuli from within the recording module of ogama and you do not have to use the import section.

Also there is a recent bugfix, that may have interrupted your work, too. Using the assignment tables in step 4 and 5 failed under certain conditions, so you might try this again (with picture files) in the next release.

Regards, Adrian

Coordinator
Jan 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM

And an addon regarding the location of stimulus files: Place all your stimuli files (even your flash movies) in the subfolder called "SlideResources" of each experiment. This is the only location where they are automatically found by ogama.

Mar 26, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Hi Adrian, I made an experiment using the URL design module, and during the experiment, sometimes I back and foward somepages and some bugs appear, as usual, I made an video showing the issues and doubts, thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8p7otkiMks

Regards,

Vitor

Coordinator
Mar 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Hi Vitor,

I don´t like your "as usual" statement :-)

Looking at your video, I must say, that what you are trying to achieve is not possible with ogama. The website is to complicated to be tracked with the tools ogama is using in behind. For this kind of websites we would have to code a BHO which talks to ogama, and I´m not sure if this will work either. It is just too dynamic.

So I would suggest that You use recording with a screenrecorder as I implemented it recently and will release with the 4.2 version. There you can create a so called "desktop slide", which internally starts screen recording of anything you are doing on the screen during recording. This is not that nice on analysis, cause you cannot define dynamic AOI etc. but I know no other option at the moment.

Regards, Adrian

Mar 26, 2012 at 6:49 PM

^^Sorry Adrian, I don't aim to indirectly suggest any thing, is just I always send some video, maybe I was boring the replys, just that. sorry anyway, wasn't my intention.

Humm I get it. Doesn't have any kind of permission that could release this interaction without a BHO code? And about the 4.2 version, do U have prevision of date release? Thanks